Commonly heard when comparing problem sets:
- "That's not what I got."
- "I think you rounded more."
- "We have the same number... but yours is negative. Why is yours negative?"
- "We're using different sign conventions."
- "Your calculator is in radians."
- "Shit, I forgot the self load."
- "Fuck it, I don't have time to fix this. YOLO."
Okay, maybe I shouldn't wear my iron ring out so often. I met a civil engineer who employs UW co-ops at the pool (storm/sanitary sewers) and it was kinda weird. And then a guy from a MAJOR firm, who wasn't technically an engineer, but does environmental assessments. It was disconcerting to speak to potential professional contacts so inadequately dressed.
Bridge tourney tomorrow! It's the <500MP game
(read: for noobs) but it's stratified so if I don't suck too badly I'll be able to start racking up masterpoints.